This page describes my account of installing the new Apple Magic Mouse with scrolling capabilities on Ubuntu 10.04.
My initial impression was that the magic mouse would work in Ubuntu 10.04. There are a few steps you need to do in order to get it to work.
1. Upgrade to 10.04 if not done already
2. Upgrade the kernel and headers to 2.6.35-25-generic
3. Fix all the kernel modules that broke when I upgraded the kernel
- Virtual box had to recompile its kernel modules
- X11 configuration was broken and had to reinstall nvidia drivers.
After the above steps the mouse started working and had the scroll capabilities. I did notice that my mouse speed was too fast. Even tough I set it to the slowest settings in the control panel.
4. Fix the mouse speed.
To list the current settings type the following command
xinput --list-props "Apple Magic Mouse"
To change the settings type the following (default value was 1)
xinput --set-prop "Apple Magic Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 1.5
Problems still encountered:
Each time I restart my machine the system does not detect the mouse. A work around for this is to switch off the mouse and then switch it on again. The system will re-connect automatically.